Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Joe Scarborough: Lifelong Republicans Tell Me They'll Vote for Hillary

I and my extended family left the Republican Party years ago.  For my late mother, the straw that broke the camel's back was John McCain's selection of the Alaska idiot, Sarah Palin, as his vice presidential running mate.  I recall her stating that she "was done" with the party.  Other life long Republicans have tried to close their eyes and hold their noses and pretend that the GOP was still what it once was despite the accumulating evidence to the contrary.  Some did this simply for semi-social reasons: their social lives revolved around GOP activities.  Others found it impossible to walk away from "tradition."  This election cycle, more are being forced to belatedly admit that the GOP has become one large insane asylum occupied by religious fanatics and would be KKK members. For country club Republicans (and the husband and I know quite a few), these elements are anathema.  Now, former GOP Congressman and talk show host Joe Scarborough is stating that he is having life long Republicans telling him the will vote for Hillary Clinton over GOP candidates. Here are highlights from  Newsbusters:
Joe Scarborough prefaced his remarks this morning by saying "this is the sort of thing that right-wing bloggers get very angry about."  So let's oblige him . . . 

On Morning Joe, Scarborough said "I am shocked by how many Republicans, that have always voted Republican, that have said they're going to vote for Hillary if it's Cruz or Trump running against Hillary. I'm talking Deep South, Southern Baptist. I asked people who I expect to say yes, Cruz, go "hell no. No. I will never vote for Ted Cruz or Donald Trump. I will vote for Hillary Clinton."

Although Scarborough included Trump in the mix, his focus was on Republicans who supposedly wouldn't vote for Cruz. 
Here's some of the transcript from the show:
MIKE BARNICLE: I am mystified by the process on both sides, to tell you the truth. Especially the Republican side. And I'm -- the Cruz aspect of the campaign, we were talking about, Joe. I'm wondering, and maybe someone here can answer my question, does his support in the primaries, his growing support in the primaries, especially in Iowa, does it translate to the fall, to a general election? 

JOE SCARBOROUGH: No. It does not. I am shocked, I'm shocked—and this is the sort of thing hat makes right-wing bloggers get very angry about—I'm just telling you, I said it about Romney, when I said Romney was going to lose. They got really, really angry with me. This is a different category. I am shocked by how many Republicans, that have always voted Republican, that have said they're going to vote for Hillary if it's Cruz, or, um, Trump running against Hillary. I'm talking Deep South, Southern Baptist. I asked people who I expect to say yes, Cruz, go "hell no. Hell no! No. I will never vote for Ted Cruz or Donald Trump. I will vote for Hillary Clinton before those two." Shocked: lifetime Republicans saying that.

WILLIE GEIST: Why not Cruz? He checks so many boxes.

JOE: Just too harsh. I've heard two things: I've heard that he's too harsh, first of all. And secondly--and I hear this from a lot of Republicans that don't follow politics every day--they think it's an act. They think it's staged. 
. . . 
JOE: Joey [his son] called and asked who are you going to support, and they say "we will vote for Hillary Clinton. We will vote for the first Democrat in our life before we vote for Ted Cruz or Donald Trump." Don't shoot the messenger! I hear it anecdotally. I've been saying like this on this show for years, and 99% of the time it turns out to be right.
 The GOP is committing a slow form of suicide.  I hope death comes sooner as opposed to later.
 

No comments: