Saturday, April 04, 2015

Support Don Shaw - Let's Retire Bob Marshall

Don Shaw and his family
A few days ago I wrote a post about the need to defeat GOP Del. Bob Marshall in November.  Marshall is perhaps one of the most hate-filled homophobes in the Virginia General Assembly and once boasted that he'd like to drive all the gays out of Virginia.  I noted in the post that Marshall has a Democrat challenger who needs our support.  Much to my surprise, I received the following e-mail from Don Shaw, Marshall's opponent:
Thank you for the blog post yesterday.  It's definitely time to Retire Bob Marshall.  He has furthered his anti-LGBT hate agenda at the expense not only of those against whom he campaigns, but also at the expense of progress and economic security here in Virginia.  I'm a strong ally of the LGBT community not only because I'm a Democrat, but because I absolutely believe in equality for all.  As was mentioned in the WaPo article, my 23-year-old son is gay.  I am unequivocal in my assertion that equal rights should not be contingent on his sexual orientation, but on the fact that he is a person.  I also have a 21-year-old daughter who has special needs.  Contrary to what Marshall has said, she is not God's punishment for abortion.  On the contrary, she's a blessing I count fortunate to have received every single day.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention our youngest.  She believes, and I agree, that she deserves equal pay for equal work and that she should be able to make her own healthcare decisions.  My wife is a wonderful and accomplished person in her own right, without whom I wouldn't be where I am today.  My family keeps me grounded and inspired me to step up and run for office to put an end to the continuous social war being waged by Bob Marshall.

Anyway, I wanted to send you a personal note of thanks for picking up on the WaPo story and blogging about it.  I've read some of your entries; I wish I had the time to go back and catch up on all of them.  You have a powerful story in your own right and I thank you for sharing it.  

Please share information about the campaign liberally and encourage those in a position to contribute to do so.  We're fighting the good fight and we will win!  Thank you!

Best,
Don

Don Shaw
Democratic Candidate
VA House of Delegates
13th District
PLEASE SUPPORT DON'S CAMPAIGN AND MAKE A CONTRIBUTION (USE THE LINK ABOVE) WHETHER YOU LIVE IN VIRGINIA OR NOT.  SENDING BOB MARSHALL INTO RETIREMENT WILL PERHAPS SEND A MESSAGE TO THE GOP.

No comments: