Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Feel the Love - Hate, the Hallmark of "Godly Christians"

I get accused of being harsh towards conservative Christians.  I plead guilty.  In my life time I have encountered few individuals who spew more hate and animus towards others than conservative Christians.  They like to pretend that they are the nice church ladies, but the truth is that they are vicious, self-centered, ignorance embracing hate merchants all too often.  A friend was at the demonstration outside the Norfolk federal courthouse where a hearing was underway in the case Bostic v. Rainey.  Here are his reflections:
I feel saddened by the amount of negative energy at Norfolk Federal Courthouse yesterday . Why are there so many people spewing hate in the name of religion? I went with an open heart, hoping they would see our love for each other. They didn't. They saw us as obominations. They called us pedophiles. They waved their bibles, telling us our place was in Hell. They mocked our families. That's why I will continue this fight. They will not break our spirit. The quest for equality isn't an easy road...I believe justice and humanity is on our side.
Sadly, my friend's experience was not unique.  Just ask Minnesota high school senior Ryan Eichenaue (pictured above) who recently came out on Facebook and who has since been receiving anonymous death threats at school.  While the identities of those making the threats are still unknown, nor is their religious affiliation known, what is known is that in Minnesota the primary opponents to anti-gay bullying measures are the "godly Christian" crowd who in the lead up to the vote on same sex marriage (which thankfully passed) spread any number of vicious anti-gay lies.  Fox9.com has details.  Here are highlights:

Six weeks ago, a Centennial high school student opened up about being gay, and on Tuesday, he found an anonymous threatening letter in his English class that's prompting a police investigation.

"I'm really proud to be out and be myself. I get to do what I want without having to hide anymore," Centennial High School senior Ryan Eichenauer said.  Eichenauer insists the threats won't change who he is. He is gay and he is done hiding it.

"I know there are going to be people in life who don't agree with it. But that's who I am," he said.

Eichenauer had no idea the hate and venom that would soon follow after he posted this heartfelt, videotaped message to friends, family and classmates on Facebook just before the New Year.
Not only does the note attack his sexuality, but it says "I can't wait for the day that I get to walk over your grave and if you don't put yourself there, I will be glad to. Just do us all a favor and do it soon. Kill yourself already."

The letter reads, in part,
"Ryan,
I  see there are many others who also want you dead. Good. And it's not just the two of us who have decided to speak up. It's everyone. […] like you don't deserve to live in this world. Innocent people die every day, but the scum of the earth like you gets to live? […] that. That is about to change. No one likes the fact that you are alive. No one likes the way you show your sexuality. You are a […] sinner. Someone should do something about it…I will. I am not a coward. I protect the house of god from […] like you." 
Eichenauer reported the note to authorities.

"It's harassment.. We take harassment very seriously. And it was threatening," principal Tom Breuning said.  Breuning confirmed that multiple investigations have been launched by the north metro school district as well as the Blaine Police Department.
"Whoever is behind it, it's unacceptable. And the safety of all our students is paramount importance to us," Breuning said.

"The first threat I cried a lot. A lot of tears and emotions. Even though that was less threatening. Then this one came along. Is this what I am going to get forever, from now on?" Eichenauer said.

As I have said, I hold Christofascists in utmost contempt.  They embrace ignorance and myths authored by ignorant herders and harass and threaten and seek to marginalize anyone who threats their fantasy world world view.  America - and the world - would be a better place without conservative religion of every creed.

P.S. Of all the death treats I have received in comments on this blog (I do not publish them), every single one has apparently been left by "godly Christians," most of whom are so gutless than they do not even use their real names. 

No comments: