Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Music Producer Clive Davis Comes Out as Bisexual and In A Same Sex Relationship

While he is now 80 years old, Clive Davis, the legendary music producer, has come out as bisexual and has confirmed that his last two relationships (including his current one) are with men.  Many in Davis age bracket would have remained closeted, so I greatly applaud Davis for coming out as he has done.  As noted many times on this blog, in many ways coming out as LGBT is the most powerful form of activism one can undertake because it forces family, friends and co-workers to rethink often long held prejudices.  Here are article highlights on this development:

Legendary music producer Clive Davis acknowledges his bisexuality in his memoir that hit bookstores on Tuesday.

“I was only turning to bisexuality after my second marriage failed, so that it was not an issue through my life,” he told Katie Couric during a segment about his book on her talk show. “Neither of my marriages were affected. I was totally attracted to women. When the marriage failed in the mid-80s, I opened myself up to the possibility that I could have a relationship with a man as well as with the two that I had with a woman.”

Rolling Stone reported Davis, 80, wrote in “The Soundtrack of My Life” that he had his first sexual encounter with another man during “the era of Studio 54.” He said he was in a “monogamous relationship” with a male doctor from 1990 to 2004.

Davis, who told Couric he is currently in a relationship with another man, said he “immediately” revealed his bisexuality to his four children and close friends.  “I felt it was private,” he said. “I did immediately reveal it to the people who count. I just didn’t hold a sign up.”

Davis acknowledged attitudes against bisexuality also contributed to his decision to not publicly come out  .  .  .  . 

Davis, who has worked with hundreds of artists including Janis Joplin, Alicia Keys and the late-Whitney Houston, told Couric he hopes his decision to come out will help change attitudes about those who are bisexual.  I’m still attracted to women,” he said. “You don’t have to be only one thing or another. For me, it’s the person. I’m in a monogamous relationship. I respect monogamy, and I hope that this is understood.”

I can already hear the Christofascists shrieking and carrying on about Hollywood and  pop music destroying America's morality.


No comments: