Monday, January 14, 2013

Actress Jodie Foster Comes Out At Golden Globes

Ending years of rumors and speculation, Oscar winning actress Jodie Foster came out at the Golden Globe Awards last night after receiving the Cecil B. Demille award.  In a moving acceptance speech Foster explained her past reticence about giving up her privacy but stated that she felt the need to clarify maters at this point in her life.  I for one wish her well and hope that she finds additional peace and self-ease with the announcement behind her.  Living a secret of sorts become so exhausting and draining.  Huffington Post has details on Foster's announcement.  Here are excerpts:

Jodie Foster ended years of rampant media speculation when she casually came out of the closet while accepting her Cecil B. Demille award at the Golden Globes Sunday night. 

After being introduced by Robert Downey Jr., Foster coyly said, "While I’m here being all confessional, I just have the sudden urge to say something I’ve never been able to air in public. A declaration that I’m a little nervous about. Not quite as nervous as my publicist, huh, Jennifer? But uh, you know, I’m just going to put it out there. Loud and proud. I’m going to need your support. I am -- single!"

She then took a more serious turn, noting, "I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago, back in the Stone Age. In those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends, and family, coworkers and then gradually, proudly, to everyone who knew her."

Throughout her occasionally long-winded yet stirring speech, Foster, 50, went on to speak about privacy and its general absence in Hollywood -- a luxury that, to her, seems like a distant past.  .  .  .  .  ."If you had to fight for a life that felt real and honest and normal against all odds, then maybe you, too, would value privacy above all else."

Foster also thanked her ex-partner and co-parent, Cydney Bernard, and said she would only take projects that challenged her creatively -- which left a number of publications such as the Los Angeles Times to speculate whether or not the Oscar-winning actress was also announcing her retirement.

Again, I wish her well and hope she finds much happiness.  And I further hope that the gay will come when LGBT individuals will be viewed simply as people and that sick individuals like the professional Christian set who only feel self-satisfied when demonizing others will be viewed as the outcasts of society.

No comments: