Saturday, October 06, 2012

GOP Congressman: Evolution, Big Bang, ‘Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell’

I often bemoan what has become of the Republican Party in which I was raised.  It's at war with the middle class and average Americans and, even more frighten, it is at war with science and reality.  One indeed needs to be either driven by greed, religious fanaticism or outright insanity to be a Republican.  And I'd say this to the face of some neighbors down the street that have Romney signs in their yards (fortunately, we have an equal or greater number of yards with Obama signs).   As case in point of just how insane and religiously extreme the GOP has become is provided by GOP Congressman Paul Broun of Georgia who revels in his ignorance and religious extremism - and in the process shows his contempt for objective reality, not to mention the concept of separation of church and state. The New Civil Rights Movement looks at Broun's batshitery.  Here are excerpts:

Rep. Paul Broun, a four-term Tea Party Republican U.S. Congressman from the state of Georgia, says that “as a scientist,” he believes evolution, embryology, and the Big Bang Theory are all “lies straight from the pit of hell.” 

Broun delivered these remarks at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet in Hartwell, Georgia on September 27, 2012.

“God’s word is true,” Broun says, while standing in front of a wall filled with the dead heads of deer. “I’ve come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell. And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior. You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.

. . . .  as your congressman I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”


And what did the Republicans do with Broun?  Here are Congressman Paul Broun’s committee assignments:
Yes, the man who promises to use the Bible to make all his decisions is the Vice Chair of the Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence and is on the Committee on Science and Technology.  Because in “GOP world” science does not exist.

No comments: